Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Our Stay at the Farm

We just got back from 5 1/2 days on the family farm in Kansas... It was awesome! Most people wouldn't consider hanging out on a farm "vacation"... But I can't think of anywhere I'd rather spend a few days off. It was hotter than heck out there (around 100 every day but one) and we didn't see a whole lot of rain, but it's still one of my favorite places to be. Every time I go back there I feel like I learn a little bit more about where I come from.

This trip back was a little harder for me than I ever expected it to be. Even though my brother is there taking care of things, the farm seems so empty. Roland said the first couple months out there were hard for him as well, for the very same reason. It's just different without Grandma out there. For some reason I kept expecting to walk into the kitchen and see her making bread... That's one of my favorite memories of her.

We did have a lot of fun out there though. Steve, Roland, and I got to do some fishing and we even caught a few while we were out there. I am by no means an avid fisherman, but I do love spending time at the pond.

Roland has done a lot of work on the house and it looks great. I really enjoyed seeing his things on the walls in the house... It really made it feel like we were in his home. I also loved seeing his vegetable garden! I always thought my brother was the biggest city kid. He always lived in the big cities in Arizona and seemed to love it. But now that I see him out on the farm and watch him work the way he does... I truly believe that this is the place he was meant to be. It just fits him. He reminds me more and more of my Dad and my Grandpa every single day... I think it's pretty cool!

1 comment:

Melis said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. Are you talking about the same brother I know? I have a hard time picturing this as well. Good for him! Thanks for your support to me. You have been so sweet.