Monday, August 4, 2008

Saying "Sayonara" to Snot!!

(Terrible title... I know. Just roll with it!)

Tomorrow, at 1:00pm... I am going under the knife. Well... it's actually and endoscope... but you get the idea.

Tomorrow... I am having sinus surgery.

When I had my original surgery a few years ago, my neurosurgeon told me that sinus issues could occur afterwards. I did really well for a couple of years... but the past two have been a little rough. It seems like every few months, I end up dealing with a sinus/ear infection. I go to the doctor... take the antibiotics... and it goes away. Then it rears it's ugly head again!

I finally went to see an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor in May to see if he could help me. He dug around in my ears, shoved a long probe thingy up my nose (that was fun), did a series of allergy tests, and couldn't come up with anything. Then he sent me for a CAT scan and found out what was going on.

It turns out I have some scar tissue from my original surgery that is blocking my sinuses and not allowing them to drain. So, all the gunk that's in them has no way to get out. So instead, it sits there and my sinuses repeatedly become inflamed and infected. It's not been fun.

But tomorrow is it! Tomorrow... all that gunk that has been hanging out in my oh-so-lovely sinuses will no longer have a place to call "home". It, along with all of its belongings, is being evicted once and for all!!

I won't say that I'm excited for the surgery... That's not the right word. I'm actually a little nervous about it, and know that the next few days probably won't be all that fun. However, I am SOOO ready to be rid of the pain and pressure. It will also be nice to be able to smell things normally again, and to not feel as though there's a big, fat sumo wrestler standing on my face.

I am off work for the rest of the week (Woo Hoo for paid medical leave!), so as soon as I'm somewhat coherant I'll let you know how it went.

Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Linde said...

Oh Kasey, that just made me hurt! I hope that it all goes great and that you feel better SOON! I bet you are excited to get this over with and feel better! Good luck, let us know how it goes.