Saturday, August 9, 2008

Just Checking In...

*** Disclaimer: I am still on some pretty hefty pain meds, so there is a good chance that some portions of this post (big or small) may not make complete sense. Please bare with me!***

From what I understand and remember... My surgery was a success! WOO HOO!!!

I had an amazing pre-op nurse who was probably the nicest person I have ever met in my entire life. I was a little nervous going in, but she talked and joked with me the whole time she was getting me ready, and she really helped calm my nerves. She was awesome! She called me "party girl" the whole time because apparently after the initial round of medication she gave me, I started to tell her all about my super cool margarita machine and about how Steve can do the "sprinkler"! (She tried to get him to demonstrate, but was unsuccessful.)

Steve also went back with me and he really helped as well. He rubbed my feet the whole time I was laying there on that table and he kept me laughing. I don't know if what we were talking about was really all that funny, but it sure did seem like it at the time! I'm so glad he was able to take the day off to go with me.

I remember absolutely nothgin from the surgery itself... which is probably a good thing. My surgeon told Steve that even he was impressed at all the gunk that was crammed in my head. He also did some chiseling and cutting back in there to open things up, so I'm really glad that I wasn't really "around" to experience that part of it.

I do remember waking up after surgery though... And that was not fun. My throat was on fire (I'm assuming from the breathing tube they had in during surgery), and the right side of my face was killing me! All I could say was "Ow!... Ow!", and then I started crying. My sweet little nurse came over and immediately gave me some pain medication which really helped. I really liked that lady!

After a couple more hours in recovery, making sure that I could walk around a bit and that I wasn't going to toss my cookies... I was allowed to go home. I was SO happy! I don't even remember the ride home because I think I was out cold once my butt hit the car seat.

I have to say... Over the past few days, I have had two of the most amazing helpers a girl could ever ask for! Steve had to work on Wednesday, so it was just Cookie and I here alone. That little dog did not leave my side for one second! If I got up to go to the bathroom, she went with me (and she hates the bathroom because it brings back bathtime memories). If I went into the kitchen, she went with me (another room she doesn't particularly care for because of the cold tile floor). As I've posted so many times before... This little girl KNOWS when something is not right. She knows when I don't feel well, and she's always *thisclose* to me when it happens. I love her!

My other helper, Steve, has also been pretty amazing this week. He got my prescriptions after surgery. He stayed with me to make sure that I took them and that I was ok. He has gotten so many meals for me this week (including a box of cheese crackers and some icecream sandwiches that I was craving) that I can't even count. He's made all kinds of (non-alcoholic) slushy concoctions in my margarita maker for me. He hasn't once made a crack about my wild, frizzy, unkempt hair (Dust, you know what I'm talking about). He's just been amazing! I don't think I'll ever know what I did to deserve such a good man in my life... but I love this one and I'm NOT letting him go!

Ok... I feel like I have rambled on enough for one day. I don't know how much of this will make sense and I don't really care. It's about time for some tortilla soup for lunch and another pain pill. Then, Cookie and I have a hot date with the couch.

I'm off work until next Friday, so I think we're just going to hang out, watch the olympics, read, maybe do a little scrapbooking, and probably take a few walks. That sounds like a really good week to me!

I hope you all have a nice, relaxing week as well... I'll keep you posted!!

5 comments:

Melis said...

I'm so glad you are doing well. Make sure you get enough rest so you will heal faster. Sounds like you are being taken good care of party girl! ha! that is so funny. keep us posted on how things go. Enjoy the olympics.

Linde said...

You sound like you are doing great! I am so glad. Isn't it funny what pain killers bring out in us:) Let us know how you are doing!

Dustin said...

I am so glad you are doing better!! The package we sent should be there Wed. so enjoy yourself!! It not a margarita maker but you can still party a little with all of it! We sure love ya and are thinking about you!

claudia said...

hola chica, i'm so happy that everything went well and that your at home resting and recovering. take care and many hugs -c

Lee Anne said...

Kasey I am glad it all went well and you are home and comfortable. You are such a fighter. I don't know if I would have the strength to endure what you have. I admire you for that. Rest up and enjoy your time off work.