Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Challenge...

The past week (my work week begins on Friday and goes through Monday) at work has been a week from hell... There's really no other way to put it!

A typical day in my line of work includes dealing with computer malfunctions, weather issues, air traffic control problems, broken airplanes, unhappy Owner Services reps, and pilots that are less than thrilled about where they are or where they are going. It's just the nature of the beast.

I consider myself a people person and most of the time I really enjoy the challenge of what I do (in a "bang-my-head-against-a-wall" kind of way). However... there are a few times a year when my people skills and "How may I help you?" attitude pretty much fly out the window. One of those times is Super Bowl week. I absolutely dread it!

First of all... I don't understand what is so special about the Super Bowl anyways. It's a football game. We see them all the time. Same big guys, same spandex pants, and they're STILL running around trying to tackle the dude with the ball. (Can you tell I am not a football fan?) Secondly... Even if you are a football fan, why on earth would you spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to watch (possibly from the nosebleed section) something that you could easily enjoy from the comfort of your own living room? I don't understand it...

So as I'm driving home from work yesterday... mind racing, blood boiling, and exhausted... I decided that I needed to shake it off and turn things around. After all... It was my Friday. So, when I got home, I started writing a list of all the little things that make me happy. Here's what I have...

1 - Steve (OK... so he's not exactly "little", but he still makes me happy)
2 - Cookie greeting me at the door every afternoon with "bed head"
3 - Green traffic lights
4 - Warm towels fresh from the dryer
5 - E-mails from friends
6 - Chocolate
7 - Paydays (Who doesn't enjoy these?)
8 - New posts on my friends' blogs
9 - Pictures
10 - Diet Coke
11 - Turning on the TV just in time to catch a good show
12 - Finding money in the washing machine
13 - Bubble baths
14 - Scrapbooking (it's cheap therapy)
15 - A good book
16 - Oranges (YUM!!)
17 - Best friends
18 - Mail that isn't a bill
19 - Cookie's snores (My favorite sound EVER!)
20 - Days off!!

This is just a short list... Something to get me started. However, I've challenged myself to come up with at least one more thing to add every day. So, next time I post, I should have a few more to add to the list!

4 comments:

Melis said...

LOVE the optimism (did I spell that right?). Way to be strong!

Dustin said...

I totally understand the Superbowl thing. The game was only 20 min. from our house! Traffic was crazy there were thousands of people here. Can you believe people came that didn't even have tickets to the game?! I feel your pain sister!!

Linde said...

Love your list! I am so glad that I found you through Melissa. Hope you don't mind. I haven't seen you forever so this is so fun. You look amazing...I will have to peek in on you once in awhile:)

Mandy said...

Amen to the football thing, I know absolutely nothinga about it. Way to have a positive attitude and turn a bad week into remembering the things you love, I need to do that.