Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What a Lady...

Edith Irene Hornberger

My Grandma Edith (my mom's mom) passed away this weekend, and we're really going to miss her.  Grandma was born on March 22, 1922, and would've celebrated her 87th birthday in just a couple of weeks.  She died on March 7th.


Some of my favorite memories of my Grandma are:

1.  Picking her up at the airport every summer.  I would get so excited... I used to run down the hall to meet her, and she always looked so pretty.

2.  She always slept in my room with me when she came to Arizona, and she would hold my hand until I fell asleep.

3.  When we got to go see her in Kansas, she would load us up in her car and take us to the Sonic in the next town over.  I thought that was so cool!

4.  She always used her lipstick for blush... It was a bright pink color.

5.  Wherever we went, no matter where we were or who we ran into, Grandma always introduced us to people as her grandkids.  She was such a proud Grandma.

6.  She always had cold coke in her fridge, and some kind of cookie we could eat!

7.  She was so generous.  Grandma didn't have a whole lot... yet she always had little treasures she gave to us.  (Even as I sit here and type this, I'm looking at this tacky little piggy bank she gave me last summer.)  She never sent us away empty-handed!

8.  She was always excited to see us.  Even in the last couple of years... when I never knew if she was going to remember us or not... her face just lit up as soon as she saw us.  

9.  Her quilts.  Grandma was a very talented, award winning quilter, and her work was (and still is) beautiful.  I'm lucky enough to have a few of the things she made.

10.  Grandma was a lot like McGuyver.  That woman could make just about anything out of just about anything.  She was very resourceful, and handier than most men I know.

She really was a neat lady, and she will be missed by us all.

8 comments:

a. rhoton said...

Edith was a great lady and I love your memories. . . I love her quilts too and I loved all her"stuff" and treasures.
When your mom would tell me some of the things she could do (build cabinets, refurbish furniture quilt, etc) I was amazed! Hang on to the memories. love andrea

Sass Class said...

I always said that Mom could have packed her whole house up in a small truck. Not a pick up but a straight truck. . You didn't ever know Daddy or the truck line he owned. Every time I left KS, Mom packed the trunk. She could get an unbelievably large amount of stuff in a really small space. You would never have been able to bring all your Barbies otherwise. I still stuff things without suitcases sometimes. . .just stuff from MOM!!!

Dustin said...

Oh Kasey I am so sorry! You have such wonderful memories of her. It's nice when we can take some time and remember all the great times we've shared with the ones we love. My thoughts are with you and your family! I sure love ya!

Melis said...

I never knew your Grandma Edith, but your memories of her make her sound wonderful! I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lee Anne said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandma Kasey. She sure sounds like such a neat lady. What a blessing to have the relationship with her that you do and such great memories.

Linde said...

I am so sorry! I love your memories.Very sweet! Glad you have them. I'm thinking of you:)

Karalea-Karalea said...

Condolences and prayers.

Mandy said...

my grandma is 90. i am dreading that. but it will be bitter sweet. she wants to go so bad. it's never easy to let go. sweet post.