Friday, November 23, 2007

The Story of a Tree...

WOO HOO!!! Thanksgiving is over and now we've officially entered into the Christmas season!! Not that I'm overlooking Turkey Day or anything... but I love Christmas and I love this time of the year. I love the Christmas music playing on the radio... I love buying gifts for my loved ones... I love decorating my house... I just LOVE it!!

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and I had the day off work. Steve had to work until about 4:30, so I spent the earlier part of the day setting up my Christmas tree, pulling out my snowman decorations, making Christmas cards, wrapping a few presents, etc. I didn't spend much time relaxing (you know... what you're supposed to do on your only day off), but it was a day away from work and I got a lot done. Besides... I really wanted to get my Christmas tree set up!

I thought about getting a bigger Christmas tree this year. I've seen so many pretty trees at Target and Michaels... and I have a bigger place now, so I thought it would be a good idea. I thought maybe this year I would take a step up in the tree department. But when I really started thinking about it, I just couldn't do it! This may sound crazy to some, but my little fake Christmas tree has a bit of sentimental value to it.

A few years ago, shortly before Thanksgiving, a friend of mine from work came to take me out to lunch. Marcel knew that I hadn't been feeling well, I was facing a major surgery, and I was just having a really rough time. He took me to Bob Evans for lunch where I had French toast (I know... not really a lunchy thing). I remember craving it!! After lunch, we decided to hit this flea market that we had heard horror stories about. It was in a grungy part of town and was a little creepy looking, but we decided to go for it anyways.

Marcel and I shopped for a little over an hour and found some of the strangest things in that flea market. I think Marcel found a jacket that he bought and a blanket for his daughter and I didn't find anything I couldn't live without. I was all set to leave empty handed when I looked over near the door and saw it.... A CHRISTMAS TREE!! I had wanted one for so long! The box said it was a 6 foot tree and it was only $10. It was the only one there and I decided it needed a home, so I bought it.

When I got the tree home and put it together, I was a little disappointed. It was a really sad looking little tree. However, I didn't have the money to buy a bigger one, so I had to make do with the one I'd purchased. I had a couple of strings of clear lights, and 2 boxes of ornaments that I picked up at the flea market for $1/box. So, I turned on some Christmas music and started decorating my new tree.

Every year when I pull out my tree and put it together, I still get that same sad little feeling. I think to myself, "Good grief, this tree looks sad!" But, every year, after I add the lights and hang the ornaments, I'm always pleasantly surprised at how pretty my little tree turns out.



Now I know that my little tree is nothing spectacular... and I know I'll never find it in the middle of Rockafeller Center. But this tree has been through a lot with me, and with a few decorations, I think it looks pretty darned good!!

I hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving and I hope you all are enjoying the beginning of the Christmas season as much as I am!

1 comment:

Dustin said...

I think your tree is beautiful! I finally broke down this year and bought one. We usually have a real one but with Braden on his way we thought it would be easier to have a fake one. But you are right, with a little lights and some ornaments it can totally change the tree's appearance!!