Monday, November 2, 2009

Here we go again...

On Decenber 8th... I'll be going under the knife... Again.

Except it's not exactly a knife in the surgical blade sense... and I don't know as though I'll actually be going "under" much of anything.

In a little over a month, I'll be spending a long day at the James Cancer Hospital here in Columbus having Gamma Knife Radiosurgery. I'm not responding to my medications anymore, so this procedure is pretty much my last shot at killing whatever it is that's decided to call my brain "home" for the past few years.


Gamma Knife is basically a precise, high dose of radiation, delivered to abnormal brain tissue... With the hope of killing it. It's also a one shot deal, so I only have to go that one day... and there's not hospital stay... WOO HOO!!

I'm a little nervous because as with most medical procedures, there are some risks. This procedure could possibly damage my pituitary gland, resulting in the need for lifelong hormone replacement therapy (not too huge a deal... I could deal with that). However, because of where my tumor is located, it could also damage my optic nerve which could result in visual impairment (not too thrilled about that). My neurosurgeon says that Gamma Knife has about a 2 millimeter "safe zone". Meaning that only the tissue within 2mm of the radiation beam should receive the radiation. My tumor right now is about 4mm away from my optic nerve. It's a small window... but it's a window.

On the other hand, I am hopeful that this procedure will eliminate the need for me to depend on medication, as well as do away with the horrible headaches I have been living with, day in and day out, for the past few weeks. I consider myself a pretty tough broad... but I just can't handle this pain anymore. I'm just about at the end of my rope. I feel badly for Steve because I can't be a very fun person to live with right now. I'm always tired... I don't feel like doing anything... and lately I've become pretty damn grouchy. He and the girls continue to put up with me and for that I am extremely thankful. He truly is an amazing guy.

My neurosurgeon and radiation oncologist are very optimistic that this will do the trick, and say I have about a 70% chance of a "home run". That is... everything coming out the way we want it to. I'm putting my trust in them and taking the chance.

I'm praying for a home run.

5 comments:

Melis said...

Kasey. I'm so sorry. My heart is hurting right now! We will be praying like crazy that this procedure will work and you will get your "HOME-RUN". Hang in there, it will all work out and you will be rid of headaches and all the crap that has come with this tumor. We will also pray that you will keep your eye-sight and not have to be on meds anymore! You are one strong "broad" and I know you can pull through this!!! Just keep fighting!!!

Rhett said...

We will being thinking of you and praying for you Kasey. :)

MrNacho97 said...

I'm praying for a Home Run, too. Hit it out of the park!!!

Mandy said...

Lots of prayers your way. You are a tough girl, hang in there:)

Lee Anne said...

You are one tough cookie, Kasey! Hang in there. You are in our thoughts and prayers. It is times like these that I wish we were back in our little town so I could bring you over some good ol homemade soup. That alway's makes everything better.